Saturday, July 22, 2006

Which way the wind blows....

When you cross over the border from Alberta, the sign greeting you claims BC to be "the best place on earth." I've never cared for that type of hyperbolic, aggrandizing self-assessment from anyone besides Mohammed Ali and certainly not from the province which voted in Gordon Campbell.
Although, in hour 11 of my drive from Edmonton, with the 39-degree heat haranguing the rust colored pine-beetle afflicted trees, I did feel at home in this Lower Mainland. I guess people do respond to confidence. I've never lived here before, but I visited often and I think I might love Vancouver. The bridges are metropolitan and impressive; the refulgent downtown is beckoning and teeming. The mountains. The ocean. I just think it's pretty. I wanted to be here for a while and I feel vibrant knowing I'm citizenry.

I’ve visited (briefly) my campus for the first time. It seems liberal and insular. The large park surrounding Capilano College suffuses it with detachment. You can forget you’re in a city. The Film Centre looks like a barn, but that’s okay. My life has lacked a little ghetto-ness of late.

It hasn’t all been peaches and cum (a Mike line) however. Finding a place has been taxing. It looks like I’ll have no choice, financially, but to live in another area than North Vancouver where the college is. Did major apartment (AKA basement suite) hunting this weekend, made more frustrating by the blanketing temperature – I thought this fucking place was known for its rain? My t-shirt soaked and my sandals melted, I have a few promising leads. I shall let you know.

Not too much to report. Mostly family visiting so far. The usual. Beer. Hugs. Barbeque. Arguments. My mom crying. Indian melodrama exists far outside the sheathed breasts and choreographed dowries of Bollywood, you know.

Tomorrow I visit my workplace for the next month, explore downtown and the campus again and the search continues for dwellings. I’ll also rendezvous with my boy Themba again. It’s been a long time, nigga. Prepare thyself.

This isn’t very well written. I apologize. I’m on my cousin’s computer and had to wrap this maiden post up quickly. Figured I should get this out here before I forgot I started this damn thing.
Geography can breed dissonance. Moving away is a jangle. A kiss on each of your prairie-bred cheeks, your well wishes keep me warm in this despotic heat.
I use too many parentheses when I write.

7 Comments:

Blogger bingofuel said...

Themba, his arms open?

Jag and Themba at Vancouver when the walls fell.

You look after yourself, pal. I'll be there on the 6th macking free hotels and gambling away money I don't have. Wicked.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With your post all in italics, it makes me feel like I'm reading the real, secret thoughts of the innermost Jag. And of course, he is thinking about peaches and cum. Yeah, it sure is hot in herrre this weekend, and I must admit I spent most of it napping: it's just too hot to do anything else. Good luck with the North Van pavement pounding. Tell us when you're finally settled: we should get together and say hello.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll be missed, dude. Glad to see you'll be writing regularly!

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know that you've got your own blog. I'll be visiting the site as often as I can. It's really nice to have a new start. Wish you all the best.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Yo homeslice,

Good to see things up and running. Can't wait for you to eventually dump your heart on to this electronic quasi-page so I can mock you and your weekness.
You'll be missed more than Elvis and the McRib combined.

Rory

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't believe i used week and not weak. Sorry for sullying your blog dude. I shall strive for your forgiveness for the rest of my days

12:51 PM  
Blogger Jag said...

It's okay, Rory. Pobody's Nerfect.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home