Thursday, August 03, 2006

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

It dawned on me slowly (as most things do) that this is my first time living completely by myself. No family, no roommates. Perhaps an unremarkable achievement of someone who is nearing 26, however, like a third world dictator, I feel even the most commonplace of my accomplishments warrants some type of celebration.

How did I choose to commemorate this soldered step into adulthood? This acceptance of personal responsibility and wordless promise of civilized supplication? I ate an entire pizza, drank some Crown Royal and fell asleep watching Seinfeld in my boxer shorts. I am a fucking duke.

I think it taught me a lot about myself. Specifically:

· I should never, ever do that again
· There are many valid and apparent reasons I am single
· My taste buds can detect the piquancy of failure. It tastes like rye whisky, Mexican hot sauce and processed cheese.

[INSERT SEGUE HERE]

Today, downtown, I saw a protest in front of the armed forces building demanding the immediate withdrawal of Canadian troops from Afghanistan. I don’t want them there either (I did at one time) but for them to pack up and leave tomorrow doesn’t seem like a manoeuvre ensuring stability and long-lasting peace in the region. I am not an expert, of course, and any insight anyone has to offer would be appreciated.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gerald, you're right. Albright wrote a long-winded book on the topic called "The Mighty and the Almighty." She basically argues that all conflicts involve religion. It's an interesting read.

I personally have no opinion on the matter. I just think we all need to eat more vegetables.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Jag said...

It's totally about religion, or people's perversion of it. Maybe not 100% but, in my opinion, people's differences about that invisible man who lives in the sky and watches everything we do is the root of this, and most previous, conflicts.

Yeah: nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too. Keep on imagining, I guess.

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like boobies and this blog.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home