Wednesday, May 16, 2012

NYC Revisited.

It's been a week since we returned from New York. It was an amazing trip. It's one of those Cities that fulfills the expectation. It is that crowded, bustling and fevered. It is impossible to be bored there as a visitor. 


 However, looking back at my predictions in the previous post they are split between positive and negative. 


 1. It does smell like pee in places, mostly in the stairways to the subway. But the indictment of that pee-smell as belonging to a rundown, unsafe city is groundless. I felt completely safe in New York, especially (maybe obviously) in Manhattan. But it's a completely walkable and welcoming place. Speaking of which... 


 2. I found the lion's share of NYCers to be delightfully friendly. I had three Samaritans pounce on me when my Metrocard didn't work to let me use theirs and slide on through the turnstile. Interesting postscript to this tale: as soon as I thanked the woman for letting me use her card she responded by saying "see? New Yorkers are friendly. Tell your friends. " Was it that obvious I was a tourist? I guess so. Not sure if I like that I was outed so easily. 


 They are impatient, even when They're not particularly busy. But often helpful and quick with directions, information or curious small talk. From the servers (well, some of the servers) to the clerks to the beggars to the drunks, a fine, engaged people. 


 3. We walked a lot. And it hurt. I might've still gained weight from the endless food/beer options but I kept it respectable by walking all over that fucking island like a goddamn headless monkey. There's an energy there assuredly but I think it surges by sucking a little from its inhabitants. New York can be exhausting. It's a lot of town. 


 4. I don't want to live in New York. I was happy to leave. Maybe if I spent more time there or was more thorough with the boroughs but it was fine to leave. Not to be negative, as mentioned, I had a wonderful time, but man it's draining. I realize a local will not be as constantly busy as I was over those 7 days but I don't think I could be 100% happy in a city in which you can never be alone. Not in a park, a field, under an awning or in an alcove. You're in the plural. Always. And standing in line for everything gets to be a drag. I like the elbow room afforded to you by modest Canadian cities. Not that I could afford New York anyways, nor have the desire to work the hours necessary to afford to be in the thick of the action. 


Regardless if it's not for me as a permanent settlement it's an incredible place. Honestly, guys, the capital of the world. I loved the food and the history, I swoon at the influx of black culture which is one of Canada's most obvious social and cultural weaknesses. I highly recommend NYC. 


 Stern nod of approval, 


 Jag.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home