Tuesday, August 08, 2006

THE FREENESS WEEKEND PART TWO: Japanese Girls Are Automatic

SATURDAY

Napping in the late afternoon in my palatial cabin, I was welcomingly awoken by a phone call from one Biff Johansson, who informed me his drive from Edmonton was almost complete and he would be at my house soon. It was fucking great to see the man who puts the “EiC” in “nice” again. Philip Seymour Hoffman once commented that there is no greater buzz than meeting and being around someone who is nice because they want to be. I think Biff personifies that inveiglement.

We drove over to Kitsilano and collected Jhen and Skip who brought us to the beach, now crowded with those awaiting the fireworks (there’s an annual international fireworks competition/display in Vancouver this time of year). We ate hamburgers, delicious veggie ones for Biff and I. We assed out the new slang tern of ‘assed out’ and then picked up beer for some pre-gaming at Pat/Themba’s house-sat home. In a another case of ‘what a small fucking world’ Skip knew the owner of the place they were watching, not only that, but he works with him and will be living in his basement suite next year! Craaazy!

We jaunted over to Shine, a hip-hop club in Gastown. We got on the list and paid no cover, which would be a germane harbinger of the evening. Upon entering some friend of The Darkness Brothers (Pat and Themba) bought us a few drinks, some goofy, tree-tall patron bought me another one for no apparent reason and then, this was great, I found 30 dollars on the floor! So I returned the favor and bought a round and then to top it off, one of the bartenders bought me a drink because she liked the t-shirt I was wearing! What? There’s a New Freetown! Population: Me!

Not only that, but the DJs – Matt the Alien and Vinyl Ritchie killed it, yo! I knew this was a night to remember when one of the first songs I heard upon entering was “Children’s Story” by the ruler Slick Rick! Fucking hard. Another standout track was a remix of Grandmaster Flash’s “The Message” to the music of “Break on Through” by the Doors. Not only was it inspired and mellifluous, but also I didn’t have to hear that pretentious fucking loser Jim Morrison bleat through another trite, shallowly poetic dirge.

After the cab dropped us off, Themba and I sat by the beach and had one of those drunken talks about life, the future, unrealized ambitions and art that come by so rarely. Make all the gay jokes you want (god knows I would) but it was a pretty splendid backdrop for some catching up days before we take another year long sabbatical from each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home