Sunday, October 15, 2006

THE HOLE WEEK, THE WHOLE WEAK....

Justin’s married now. I sprung up the regal stairs to the Hotel MacDonald in chilly downtown Edmonton, with the lovely Jen by my side, and witnessed this joyous event. As best man, I fulfilled my two duties satisfactorily: I didn’t lose the rings and my speech was offensive-remark-free and generally well received.

There’s something about getting dressed up and socializing in posh surroundings – it feels like a movie to me. Like I’m a newly successful 1940’s New York playwright. There was dinner and dancing and photographs, a harpist with a Buck 65 pin that gave me a light head and pounding heart and an open bar. One of the best Saturday nights in a long time.

The rest of the long weekend was spent socializing with good people and eating good food. A lot of good food. I prided myself on my ability to eat six meals a day during those three days, and still have room for alcohol. Many thanks to Jen’s family for having me over for dinner on Sunday and aiding me in my quest to gain back the somewhat alarming 15 pounds I have lost since moving to Vancouver at the end of July.

Oh yeah – I also caught the garter…so if anyone out there is looking for a husband I’m available at
public.mound@gmail.com.

The past week of school was mostly spent fine-tuning my 15-minute short script (hopefully to be shot over x-mas break) and finishing the editing on our first commercial project for school. It looks good; we’re burning it onto a DVD today so I will show y’all my directorial debut soon. Promise.

On Thursday we played the 3rd years in an annual tackle football match. It was a fucking blast. The bruises on my body ain’t too cool, but everyone was super friendly and the game was a ton o’ fun. I think we’re having a rematch this Thursday.

Besides the drinking and the copious amounts of dating I’m doing there’s not too much to report. Well, other than the fact that film school must be undertaken with a specific attitude. Davis, Dylan and I had a great conversation about how it seems like discouragement is built into the curriculum here. Often guest speakers and your instructors will hammer home the point of how difficult it is to make it in this business. Or how you should only expect to work the most menial on-set job after graduation and hope to work your way up to the point of actually directing a straight-to-video Eric Roberts vehicle by the time you’re 50 or so. It can wear you down. But all of us know we’re too stubborn to allow that to happen. Just being on set is not good enough. As Zack De La Rocha so perfectly put it: “Fuck tha G ride, I want the machines that are makin’ ‘em”

That’s why I value our ‘off the grid’ weekend shoots so much. They will be my calling card, what separates me. I act like I’m a filmmaker already. I try to talk like one, behave like one – treat myself as one. I know it’s pretentious as hell, but it’s all I got. All I ever wanted to do. And I can’t fuck it up.

The rain is falling and I most likely won’t see the sun again until May. So to warm my heart and, perhaps, yours as well – here’s my sweet-ass team I got this year for the Cap Film School Hockey Pool. I’m going to fucking dominate:

Joe Thornton
Petr Sykora
Ales Hemsky
Mathieu Schneider
Shane Doan
Bryan McCabe
Andy McDonald
Pavel Datsyuk
Marc Savard
Sheldon Souray
Jason Spezza
Tomas Kaberle
Vaclav Prospal
Martin Gerber
Fernando Pisani
Sergei Zubov




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home